Inspirational Olympic Quotations: Build a ‘Winning’ Business [Friday Five]
The 2014 Winter Olympic Games are well underway in Sochi. It’s almost impossible to avoid the excitement and energy around this year’s games as America has already taken home a total of 13 medals, 4 of which are gold.
How can you leverage the excitement of these Winter Olympics to boost your business’ success? Here are 5 of our all-time favorite Olympic quotations, with advice on how they can be applied to help your business to a podium finish in 2014.
1) “Each of us has a fire in our hearts for something. It’s our goal in life to find it and keep it lit.” – Mary Lou Retton, winner of a gold medal at 1984 Los Angeles Games
It’s hard to stay passionate over an extended period of time. But even if your spark has fizzled, remember you once had a fire in your heart – a vision and passion – for your business. On those days when the spark doesn’t burn so bright, recall Mary Lou Retton’s words and remind yourself of that fire and what sparked it.
2) “Surpassing my achievements feels incredible; I want to replicate that again and again.” – Katherine Reutter, Team USA speed skater
Ruetter’s quotation should remind us to constantly push beyond our limits. Know what you’re setting out to achieve and challenge yourself to do more than simply meet your goals. You know how incredible surpassing your goals feels, so why not replicate that feeling as often as possible. This will be good for your soul and business!
3) “There’s always a point where you get knocked down. But I draw on what I’ve learned on the track: If you work hard, things will work out.” – Lolo Jones, Team USA Olympic hurdler
In business we face many challenges and obstacles. Sometimes we come out on top and other times we aren’t so fortunate. However, as Lolo Jones suggests, one can always benefit from even the most difficult of circumstances.
4) “We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline and effort.” –Team USA track and field gold medalist Mark Spitz
No successful business or entrepreneur achieved success by simply being lucky. Rather, vision, hard work, determination, dedication, self-discipline and a whole lot of effort is behind their success. Therefore, if you’re hoping to see the same success you must first put in the work!
5) “You were born to be a player. You were meant to be here. This moment is yours.” – Coach Herb Brooks, Team USA men’s ice hockey, 1980
If self-doubt finds its way into your mind, recall this quotation. All your hard work, determination and knowledge has gotten you to where you are today. And each day creates opportunity for you to claim your moment! Be sure to keep your eyes open and claim your moments when they come.
What’s some of your favorite Olympic wisdom?